At Home Workouts
We all have those days.
Those days when driving to the gym, finding a parking spot, checking in, snagging a treadmill, and dealing with overcrowded locker rooms simply isn’t feasible or appealing. For every one of those days there is a sweaty backup plan that will help you burn calories in the comfort of your living room.
Below is an at home based workout for the every girl that requires no equipment and can be performed quietly aka is roommate proof!
*Recommended reps for each exercise are noted below.
Repeat entire workout THREE times
Ready? Let’s sweat.
1. Body Weight Squats
Suggested 10-12 reps
If you’re trying to work on getting some junk in the trunk, hey girl hey, make squats a main member to your workout squad. Squats won’t “work” unless you are doing the movement properly …
- Stand with feet a little wider than shoulder-width apart, hips stacked over knees, and knees over ankles
- Pull your shoulders down away from your ears and extend arms out straight in front with your palms facing down.
- As you slowly send your hips backwards, bodyweight in the heels, keep your head up and your chest and shoulders upright all while keeping your back straight.
- Keeping your core engaged is key! As you slowly bend your legs, with feet flat on the floor, squat down and explosively stand back up to repeat.
2. Elevated Lunges
Suggested 10-12 reps
Do you own a coffee table? A couch? A chair? If so, you’re in luck. This lunge variation is a guaranteed butt and thigh burner.
- Place the top of your right foot (or left – whatever foot you prefer to start with) onto a sturdy piece of furniture and keep your left leg straight. To do this exercise correctly the knee of your standing leg should be directly over your ankle.
- Engage your butt and begin to bend your standing leg. Straighten your bent leg and rise back up to the starting position. You my friend, just did an elevated lung. Repeat for 8-10 reps and then switch legs.
3. Wall Sit
Suggested hold for 30-60 seconds
No, this does not mean that you get a break to sit against the wall. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. Get your thighs ready because those suckers are about to burn!
- Standing about 2 feet away from the wall, lean your back against it and slide down as if you were sitting in a chair.
- Keep your knees directly above your toes at about a 90-degree angle.
- Hold for 30 to 60 seconds and don’t forget to breathe!
4. Russian Twist
Suggested 10-15 reps per side
Time to work on those abs! Start with some Russian twists to warm up the core.
- Start by sitting on the ground with bent knees about a foot away from your butt.
- Once you’re in “position” slightly lean back and lift your feet a few inches off the ground.
- With slightly bent elbows, clasp hands together and begin to rotate (as far as possible) to the right. Allow your eyes, shoulders, and arm to follow in the direction of rotation and change directions.
5. Toe-Touch Crunch
Suggested reps: 10-15
- Lie on your back and simultaneously reach your arms behind you as your point your legs toward the ceiling.
- In the same movement; swing your arms towards the ceiling and lift your head plus shoulders off the ground to touch your toes.
- To move your toes toward your fingers, slightly lift your pelvis off the ground.
Suggested 30-60 second hold
- Place your palms on the ground about shoulder – width apart.
- Keep elbows directly below your shoulders
- Squeeze your glutes and ground your toes into the floor
- Without compromising your form, hold for up to 60 seconds keeping focus on a specific point on the floor in front of you
7. Triceps Dips
Suggested 12-15 reps
- You can use your bed, couch or coffee table for this exercise
- Sit on the edge of the piece of furniture you are utilizing with your hands just outside your hips
- Lift your body up and walk your feet out until your knees are directly above your heels.
- Bend your elbows to a 90-defree angle and slowly lower your hips
- Once your hips have reached just above the floor extend your elbows and push your body back up